Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.

My 17 year old daughter refuses to obey the rules of our

Customer Question

My 17 year old daughter refuses to obey the rules of our household as far as boyfriends, dating, etc. What are the ramifications or options if we do not want her to live with us anymore if she will not obey the rules.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, it is not that easy before she is 18 years old (the age of majority). Until that age you are legally obligated to provide shelter and support to your minor children.

Minnesota has no legal procedure for "emancipation" by court order prior to the age of majority.

So, if you attempted to throw her out you could be charged with the criminal offense of Abandonment.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

So, all you can legally do is tough it out until her next birthday, when you have no more legal duty to provide support and shelter and can legally evict her from your home.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.