Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

Can I put an amendment to my will, such as more then my

Customer Question

Can I put an amendment to my will, such as more then my power of attorney concerning my health issues such as my care in a facility or at home, if a family member wants to take care of me if at all possible besides placing me in a facility of sorts, or is that strictly up to my power of attorney. My granddaughter is the sole person on my will that's insurance policy and all my belongings. I would like for my two younger daughter to be included in that process. Is that at all possible.?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi Donetta. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

That would really not be appropriate for your will as your will only takes effect once you have died. The documents in which this should be addressed are one or more of the following: i) Durable General Power of Attorney; ii) Medical Power of Attorney; and iii) Physician's Directive (often referred to as a "living will." These are the documents that authorize and direct the appointed individuals during your life. All of these terminate upon your death and it's only upon your death, which we hope is a long way off, that your will becomes applicable.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It says I can ask as many questions as I want,. I want to know if I can change my beneficiary's on my life ins. Since I've already made out my will?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I change my beneficiary's on my ins. Policy since I've allready made out my will is that legal or not
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for your reply. And, I apologize for the delay. Took my wife to the movies. :) Thanks for your patience. Yes, absolutely, you can change the beneficiaries on your life insurance policy; that wouldn't be done through your will; rather, you would simply fill out and sign a change of beneficiary with the life insurance company. :)