Taylor
Taylor, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
87350578

I live in California. My mother is living in Georgia with my

Customer Question

I live in California. My mother is living in Georgia with my sister. My mother needs to be put in a facility with professional care.
AM I obligated to provide any financial support to her care givers.
My mother is living on $730 Soc Sec per month. My sister uses that to off set her expenses at her house.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Taylor replied 6 months ago.

hi my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help! to put it very simply, you are not required at all to provide financial support to her caregivers.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can my sister sue me to provide financial for my mother?
Expert:  Taylor replied 6 months ago.

Generally, most states do not require children to provide care if they do not have the ability to pay. States vary on what factors they consider when determining whether an adult child has the ability to pay. Children may also not be required to support their parents if the parents abandoned them or did not support them.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are you practising California law now?
Expert:  Taylor replied 6 months ago.

i am not permitted to give personal information, i apologize.

Expert:  Taylor replied 6 months ago.

you are only required to help an elderly parent in California and Georgia if the following criteria are met:

Very broadly, the following criteria need to be met in order for filial responsibility laws to apply:

• Your parent is accepting financial support from the state government.
  • Your parent has a medical or nursing home bill, acquired in the state which has a filial responsibility law, which they cannot pay.
  • Your parent is considered indigent, meaning the cost of their care is exceeding their Social Security benefits.
  • Your parent does not qualify for Medicaid, which would typically be used to cover such expenses.
  • The caregiver has reason to believe the patient’s child has the money to pay the bill, and chooses to sue the child for what is owed.
Expert:  Taylor replied 6 months ago.

does that adequately answer your questions? let me know if you need anything further. when you are satisfied, i would greatly appreciate a positive rating!

Expert:  Taylor replied 6 months ago.