Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer
Experience:  Law Clerk for 7 years

I have been giving alimony to my husband for 10 years. He

Customer Question

I have been giving alimony to my husband for 10 years. He lived in another state now he came back to CA can I have the Alimony stopped
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. I'm Stacy. What did your original court order state as to the alimony?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
To give him alimony but did not specify an end date

If there is no end date, unfortunately you must continue paying the alimony. It wouldn't matter if he lived in California or Kalamazoo. It would be your responsibility to make sure he received it on a timely basis. Now, if your income has decreased or there have been special circumstances arise, you could try to file a request for modification with the court. The judge may decide you've paid long enough, or that your financial situation does not allow you to continue paying him. Besides that, I'm sorry I don't have better news for you.

If this answers your question, please leave a positive rating. This is the only way I can get credit for helping you today. We are independent contractors here at Just Answer and don't receive payment unless you provide a positive rating. If you have followup questions, you can still ask those even after providing a rating. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My question is not finished, he have a warrant for his arrest but edcaped that state. Can I asked the alimony stopped base on that?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Again because he have a warrant for an arrest is that a basis to stopped the alimony I'm giving him?

Give me a moment to check into that. I apologize, I didn't realize you had not completed your question.

I think in this situation, this would qualify as a substantial change in circumstances warranting at least a hearing in the matter. You can't really be expected to track down a fugitive from justice to pay him alimony if even the authorities can't locate him. Here's a page that covers changes or ending alimony in California. It also has a link to the proper forms. You'll likely be required to pay a filing fee, but that would be substantially less than continuing to pay alimony to your ex. Here's the link.