AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience

If i spend time on a weekend at the home of my daughter's

Customer Question

if i spend time on a weekend at the home of my daughter's mother, so i can spend time with my daughter, does that count as "visitation" when calculating child support in California? My daughter is not speaking to me, and we have started "reunification therapy" to address this. Also, does the time spent in therapy count as "visitation"?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Your question is asking about a grey area in the law. Normally, when you would take your visitation, you would not be at your ex's house. Since the visit is at her house, she could argue that the child is under her room, and therefore you should not get the credit. You could argue that you are bring treats and presents to the visit, and taking time off work, to see your child, and therefore you should get credit.

Regarding the therapy, since your ex wife will not be there, presumably, during your session with your child, I think your argument is stronger to get credit for that time.

Does that make sense?

Please let me know if this answers your question. If you have additional follow up questions, please let me know.