AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

I and my wife owned our house that is paid for. It was my

Customer Question

I and my wife owned our house that is paid for. It was my money that paid for the house but it is in her name because of credit issues. We are not in good terms but haven't contemplate divorce yet. I want to got to the west coast for extended period. I am afraid she might unilaterally divorce me, sell the house and keep the money. Is there anyway I can put a lean on the house before I leave
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Yes, you can prepare a document called a Notice of Interest. In the document, you'll have to give the legal description of the property, and state that you are claiming an interest in the property. This will put everyone who might be interested in buying the property on notice of your interest. It will come up on a title report, and it's very unlikely a title company would give title insurance without contacting you and resolving the issue with you. You'll have to file the notice with your county recorder's office.

Does that make sense?