Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My husband is a pilot for delta airlines. He has always

Customer Question

My husband is a pilot for delta airlines. He has always handled all of our finances. He has been threatening divorce for the past few months. I don't know what to do. I don't know how to protect myself. He made a comment one that the thing that pisses him off the most is how well off ill be cared for in retirement or if he dies... I trusted him with our investments and retirement. If he divorces me I don't know Where I'll stand. What do I need to do to protect myself? I'm 50 years old and I'm a high school nurse making a Teacher's salary. My money has been used to pay for all the children's needs, holidays, groceries etc. I don't have anything saved. I never expected to have to deal with this. Can you help me?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have a legal question that I can answer for you about the situation you have described in your post?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Before a divorce is initiated, what should a person do to prepare for this? How long does it take for a person to divorce another? We've been married for 22years, what am I entitled to? How does it work?

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, you are asking lots of very broad questions, which could not be answered withing the scope of this website, as there are textbooks written on the subject of the divorce.

I am not permitted to tell what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights / legal options that might potentially apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.

I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?

Thank you.