Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
17897874

My spouse took our car can I report it stolen? even though

Customer Question

my spouse took our car can I report it stolen? even though both our names are ***** *****
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: ca
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: no not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, any registered owner of a car may take possession without the permission of other co-owners.

So, while you can not report it stolen, you can legally take it back if you find it on the street or in public. The rule is that you can retake possession if you can do so without breaching the peace or breaking and entering a locked building.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me.
A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.