Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer
Experience:  Law Clerk for 7 years
95838073

Notice to appear. Says: The Court, having issued an ex parte

Customer Question

Notice to appear. Says: The Court, having issued an ex parte order for protection, now finds that the conditions in Indiana code 34-26-5-10 have been met, and hereby sets this matter for hearing. Am I obligated to attend? What does this mean exactly?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 9 months ago.

Hi David, I'm Stacy. Give me a moment to review Indiana Code. I'll be back in a moment.

Thank you. What has happened is someone has went to the court and filed a petition for a protective order against you. The judge or magistrate reviewed the petition presented and found enough evidence to support entering an ex parte order of protection. These are usually temporary in nature. A full hearing will be held on the matter before the court. If you wish to dispute this, you definitely want to be present. If you fail to appear to protect your interests or present any evidence against you, the protective order will likely remain in place or be extended. There are serious consequences to having a protective order issues (ability to have guns, etc.) so I'd highly recommend you plan to attend this hearing.

If this answers your question, please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me. This is the only way I get paid for my service. If you have followup questions, you can still ask those after providing a rating. Thank you!

Did you need any further information or clarification? If not, please take a moment to rate my answer. I am an independent contractor and this is the only way I get paid for assisting you. Just Answer does not compensate us without a rating. Thank you so much!