Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer
Experience:  Law Clerk for 7 years
95838073

My daughter has custody of my granddaughter. Today the court

Customer Question

my daughter has custody of my granddaughter. Today the court ordered child support from father $ 600 month, the father does not want to pay , he wants to sign all rights over to mother instead of paying . what is the right way? we would love to have full rights, but can he still exercise any right later ? maybe he will change his mind later can he reinstate his rights?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: new york
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: not yet just happened today
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Stacy and will be helping you today. Give me a few moments to review your question.

The father will not be able to sign a voluntary relinquishment of his parental rights to avoid paying child support. The only way he could do this was if your daughter decides to remarry and the new stepfather would like to adopt the child. At that time, the bio father could consent to this and be removed as the legal father. Public policy does not want to bastardize a child, essentially leaving them fatherless (legally). Can you imagine the amount of men and women who would be willing sign away their rights to avoid paying child support? It would be a crisis of mass proportions if courts allowed everyone who wanted that money in their pocket instead of their child's to sign away their rights.

I understand you would like to remove him from the child's life. Speaking from personal experience, trust me -- I totally understand. Unfortunately he will legally be in this child's life unless and until your daughter remarries and her spouse wishes to adopt.

I hope this answers your question. If you've found my information helpful, please don't forget to leave a positive rating. Thank you!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. Otherwise, good luck to you!

Did you need any further information or clarification? If not, please take a moment to rate my answer. I am an independent contractor and this is the only way I get paid for assisting you. Just Answer does not compensate us without a rating. Thank you so much!