Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer
Experience:  Law Clerk for 7 years

My step daughter is 20 years old. Her father died when she

Customer Question

My step daughter is 20 years old. Her father died when she was 8 and I have raised her. Can I adopt her? Her birth mother hasn't been in her life since she was 5 months old.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: texas
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that is it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Stacy and will be helping you today. Give me just a moment to review your question.

Since your stepdaughter is an adult, there's no need to worry about any consent from biological parents. You just need to file a petition in family court. There will be a hearing and assuming it appears the adoption is not being sought to defraud creditors or avoid responsibilities under the law, it should be granted. Some states offer these forms already prepared and you just fill in the blanks. Contact your local court clerk's office to see if your county is one of them. Here's a link to forms if you are required to prepare them yourself. Your stepdaughter can join in the petition which further shows your consent to the proceeding.

I hope this answers your question. Please leave a positing rating if you've found my information helpful. A rating is the only way I can get credit for assisting you. If you have other questions, you can still ask those after a rating. Thank you!

Did you need any further information or clarification? If not, please take a moment to rate my answer. I am an independent contractor and this is the only way I get paid for assisting you. Just Answer does not compensate us without a rating. Thank you so much!