Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

A girl i had a one night stand is planning on keeping the

Customer Question

A girl i had a one night stand is planning on keeping the baby but she has already told me through text that I don't have to give anything or be around it. Am I clear to not do anything for it?
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A mother has until her child's 18th birthday to file for paternity and establish child support. Since the money is for the child, not for her, a text now won't hold up if she decides to seek support later. Also, if she ever winds up on need-based public assistance, they'll come after you for reimbursement of some portion of the money she receives (under the theory that, if you were paying support, she might not need the aid). But you cannot be required to be involved or act as a parent in any way if you don't want to.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What if she told me she was on birth control and really wasnt
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She also told multiple friends that she just wanted a baby and not a father (which was later told to me by a friend)

It doesn't make any difference. Child support money belongs to the child, and as a matter of public policy, there's nothing a parent can say or do before a child is born that means the child isn't entitled to support from both parents. Because the unborn child didn't lie and get itself pregnant.

The ONLY exception to child support laws is if she marries someone who adopts the child.

She doesn't have to ask for support, and she may not. You won't benefit from spending 18 years worrying about it. But she does have that right.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay she can ask for child support but im 19. In college with no job.

Then support would be based off your current income. When you graduate school and get a full-time job, she can ask for more.

You also have a right to insist on a paternity test before signing anything or paying her a penny. You don't have to accept her word that you're the father.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If her and I both sign a contract and she gets a copy with it saying that she can't get child support from me would that suffice in court?

Unfortunately, no. Again, this money belongs to the child. She can't waive the right to receive it on the child's behalf. If you agreed that you'd pay her a lump sum now, it's possible a judge would enforce that, but a contract where she just agrees not to sue you for support isn't legally enforceable.