Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

How do I ask for attorney fees when I didn't ask at the time

Customer Question

How do I ask for attorney fees when I didn't ask at the time I filed the Domestic Violence Restraining Order since I didn't have an attorney at the time? The case is almost over now and the judge didn't admit invoices for therapy since i hadn't marked that box earlier.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 3 months ago.

If the case is almost over and you haven't requested attorney's fees, it would be too late now to get attorney's fees. If the case hadn't started, you could ask the Court to let you amend your Petition, but once the hearings have begun, it is too late. Do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Even if I didn't have an attorney at the time therefore wouldn't make sense to ask for attorney fees? Since I have paid my attorney upfront whenever i have asked her about this once retained, she hasn't answered me about it. I want to at least ask the court so they say yes or no instead of assuming the judge would say no. Since I'm not allowed to talk to the judge and my attorney isn't asking her, I want to know if there's anything I can file or a way to ask the judge.

Yes. That is why I always advise unrepresented parties to request attorney's fees if there is any chance they will hire an attorney. And unfortunately, since you have an attorney, there is no legal action you can take without your attorney.