Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

If a new spouse tries to get guardianship of their recently

Customer Question

If a new spouse tries to get guardianship of their recently relapsed spouse, are the spouse's family members alerted and can contest this? Ages of couple is 48
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Here is, in part the list of people that must be given notice of the guardianship proceedings:

Persons entitled to notice of the proceeding shall include: (i) the following persons, other than the petitioner, who are known to the petitioner or whose existence and address can be ascertained by the petitioner with reasonably diligent efforts: the spouse of the person alleged to be incapacitated, if any; the parents of the person alleged to be incapacitated, if living; the adult children of the person alleged to be incapacitated, if any; the adult siblings of the person alleged to be incapacitated, if any; the person or persons with whom person alleged to be incapacitated resides; and (ii) in the event no person listed in subparagraph (i) of this paragraph is given notice, then notice shall be given to at least one and not more than three of the living relatives of the person alleged to be incapacitated in the nearest degree of kinship who are known 7 to the petitioner or whose existence and address can be ascertained by the petitioner with reasonably diligent efforts; and

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The end is not visible.. was it cut off?This applies to NY state and counties as well?
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Here is the text of the law. See: (g) Notice of the proceeding.

It applies to all of NY.