Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My husbands and his previous wife had incurred a A LOT of

Customer Question

My husbands and his previous wife had incurred a A LOT of debt. My husband and I have a prenuptial agreement. I ended up paying off the debts that he and his first wife had. Can I sue her for half the debt amount?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Unfortunately, she would have little liability here. In other words, the answer is no.

If you had a prenuptial agreement that stated that you would pay off some of his debt (which happen to be his and hers together), and you did so, then someone in your situation was following the duty you voluntarily entered into when signing the prenuptial agreement.

The fact that she stands as a third party beneficiary since her debt is "folded" into his does not mean that she is automatically liable to you because you had to contractually pay his debt.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.