Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

My grandaughter was put in care a week ago cuz mother left

Customer Question

my grandaughter was put in foster care a week ago cuz mother left her alone they live out of state wat can i do
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would have to go through DCF in GA if that is where this happened and you would need to qualify for a family placement and ask them to place the child with you. DCF in GA would have to coordinate with your state (or if you are in GA, then DCF in the state where it happened would have to coordinate with GA) to do a home study to make sure you and your home are acceptable and you are fit to have care of the child and if they find you are then DCF will send the child to you for you to have custody.
If DCF refuses, then you would need to get an attorney in GA or whatever state they have the child in, and you would need to go to court and present proof that you are fit and that a family placement is in the best interest of your granddaughter to get the court to order you to have custody out of state.