Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My son was picked up from school seventeen yrs old no one

Customer Question

my son was picked up from school seventeen yrs old no one called us, called the school they said they didnt know anything but that he did not get on the bus it was 7pm by thenwhen we heard that he was in jail police no one called. called the court house today and they told me no charges have been filed . my question is how long can they hold him.and i quess the school said he is facing serious charges im lost and dont know what to do. can you please help saginaw mi
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is he being arrested for, have the police told you?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no one has called or let us know there are no charges as yet when i called to see what the charges were and if he was going up for arraignment. told me to check later on call at 1 pm
Thank you for your reply.
His constitutional rights and courts hold that they can only hold him a reasonable time before at least arresting him. They have 72 hours to bring him for arraignment after arrest. You need to go down to the police station in person to speak with the desk sergeant as they should at least tell you what the alleged charges are. If they refuse and tell you he still has not been arrested, as they have now been holding him more than a reasonable time (courts hold that a reasonable time to interview a suspect generally would be not more than 5-8 hours) then you need to immediately get him a local criminal attorney to go to the police station and seek his release or force them to arrest him and bring him to court for arraignment so that bail can be set.