Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer
Experience:  Law Clerk for 7 years
95838073

An a non-custodial parent get a child's social security

Customer Question

An a non-custodial parent get a child's social security number from the state DHS (Arkansas) without the custodial parent's permission?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. I'm Stacy and will be helping you out this evening. Have there been any court proceedings regarding the child? Child support orders, divorce case, etc.? If so, that information should be in the court file and as a party, you'd have the right to review the file and get that information.

Besides that, you'd need to file something with the court to try to explain why the information is needed and request that the custodial parent provide you with the social security number. Another option is to contact the Social Security Administration and request a duplicate copy if you're listed on the birth certificate. This page outlines those steps. DHS typically will not give that information out freely.

I hope this answers your question. If you've found my answer helpful, please give me a positive rating. This is the only way I can get credit for assisting you. You can still ask followup questions after providing a rating. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Did you need any further information or clarification? If not, please take a moment to rate my answer. I am an independent contractor and this is the only way I get paid for assisting you. Just Answer does not compensate their experts without a positive rating. Thank you so much!