How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steven K. Your Own Question
Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2363
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Steven K. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I do outreach work to the homeless and am attempting to help

Customer Question

I do outreach work to the homeless and am attempting to help someone who is homeless obtain his birth certificate as a first step to getting his New Jersey state ID.
Currently he is not in possession of any identification papers.
He was born in Bronxville, New York, and is currently homeless in Newark, New Jersey.
When I contacted the department of Vital Records in Bronxville, New York, they hinted at the likelihood of providing the birth certificate by going through Vitalchek, as long as the questions posed by Vitalchek were correctly answered.
Alternatively, they said a court order could be issued to obtain it.
The challenge I'm facing in going through Vitalchek is that they require knowledge of the mother's maiden name, which this person doesn't know.
When attempting to contact the mother by Facebook, after this person identified her Facebook account by her home page picture, she didn't respond.
He has no means of contact with his father or anyone who has contact with either his mother or father, which includes having no contact with his brother or sister.
What he was able to tell me is his birth date, the high school he went to, and from a public records search, I found a likely address that he lived at during his high school years, and I also have his mother's married name her likely birth date based on a public records search.
Do you have any suggestions for either obtaining the mother's maiden name or on getting a court order to issue the birth certificate to him, or any other avenue by which he might obtain his birth certificate?
My question to you is
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 8 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 8 months ago.

Please give me a bit of time to research your issue.

Expert:  Steven K. replied 8 months ago.

Would it be possible to get the mother's marriage certificate? Does he know in what state his parents married?

Expert:  Steven K. replied 8 months ago.

Also, can he see her Facebook friends? There may be classmates who knew her in childhood and, therefore, knew her maiden name.

Expert:  Steven K. replied 8 months ago.

If she was baptized, and he knows at what church, the baptismal records would have the maiden name. And you may try reaching mom some way other than Facebook, if possible. While she may be avoiding her son, it is also possible that she is not active on Facebook.

Expert:  Steven K. replied 8 months ago. and are other sources of maiden names if he knows where she went to school and when she would have graduated.

Expert:  Steven K. replied 8 months ago.

If anyone has done genealogy on the family, he might find it on one of these sites, as well:

Related Family Law Questions