Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

Is there any away of getting out of being the cosigner for a

Customer Question

Is there any away of getting out of being the cosigner for a son who refuses to pay? Has not paid in over a year. We are retired and are struggling
..my husband and I are 73 and 71 and had to go back to work because of this.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

The only person that can let you out of the co-signor agreement is the lender. However, the lender typically does not have any incentive to do so since having 2 or more people on the hook for the debt is better than just one. If you cannot afford to pay, then you can try to file for a bankruptcy and discharge your obligations as co-signor.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.