RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

I was keeping my grandchild over night. And yes CPS was in

Customer Question

I was keeping my grandchild over night. And yes CPS was in place with a safety policy and I was on it. They came to my door and knocked with police. The father had legal guardianship. This is due to my daughter drug use. Should I have let them in. I have no lawyer. Could have gone to jail if I had listen to parents to not answer door and tell them to talk to lawyer?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Can you please clarify did you let them in to see child here or not.Is the child still living with you at this time, please clarify the situation and what happened at time with CPS, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did let them see the child. Had nothing to hide. No the child was just visiting for the night and I was going to take her home that after noon. They knock on door I went and they said they need to take her. What other choices did I have. Now my family is mad at me. I am a innocent bystander. But I do obey the law

You did not have any choice here, they would have returned with a court order and taken the child with the police. I think you made the right decision, they would have come back here anyway and got them.And as you state you had nothing to hide, you might remain a placement choice by doing so.Your relatives are wrong here,CPS would have taken the child even if they had to get court order and returned with law enforcement.

I think you did the right thing, avoided any criminal charges against you for not cooperating as well.And long term you might still be a placement option one they do home study if the child needs another permanent placement.You did right here don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I appreciate the chance to help, please let me know if you have more follow up.If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always sincerely ***** ***** with the remodeling.