originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.

My husband and I are divorcing. We have a son who has

Customer Question

My husband and I are divorcing. We have a son who has Cerebral Palsy and is nonverbal. I live in Texas and he lives in Nevada. My husband told me that he only has to pay child support until our son turns 18. Is that true? Please check and advise. The filing is in Nevada.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. This service is for information only. I cannot give you legal advice. Please stand by!

The law in Nevada states that if the child is disabled beyond the age of 18, child support can still be ordered, unless the child is getting SSI or other public benefits that would support him or her completely.

NRS 125B.110  Support of child with handicap beyond age of majority.

1.  A parent shall support beyond the age of majority his or her child with a handicap until the child is no longer handicapped or until the child becomes self-supporting. The handicap of the child must have occurred before the age of majority for this duty to apply.

2.  For the purposes of this section, a child is self-supporting if the child receives public assistance beyond the age of majority and that assistance is sufficient to meet the child’s needs.

3.  This section does not impair or otherwise affect the eligibility of a person with a handicap to receive benefits from a source other than his or her parents.

4.  As used in this section, “handicap” means an inability to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment which can be expected to result in death or which has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.