RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

I was wondering if the judge might say we need to go to

Customer Question

I was wondering if the judge might say we need to go to mediation or would he say reunification or would he just make a parenting time schedule up? My attorney offered reunification but they turned it down stating he wanted someone closer to him for the therapist. He lives over 50 miles away and my son has a doctors order stating he simply cannot go that far for therapy be of his sensory processing disorder.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a ten year old son. I have sole...
I have a ten year old son. I have sole legal and physical custody of my son. His father has not seen him in 9 years and on our court order parenting time is "agreed upon by the parties" he has never asked to see his son since our first hearing but now wants parenting time. He contacted me last yearabout seeing him.My attorney offered reunification therapy which was turned down. My son wants nothing to do with him also my son has several emotional issues such as severe anxiety along with sensory processing disorder which makes him get very ill in cars. My question has to do with how much all these special circumstances weigh in for there to be no parenting time allowed?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

It's hard to know what a judge will do sometimes, honestly. My thought is that in this case, especially if you can provide documentation from his therapist that he cannot travel long distance as well as pe rhaps something from his therapist recommending reunification, that is where a judge would lean. Mediation only works if the parties can cooperate and communicate and understand that they will each have to come to some sort of compromise --that doesn't sound possible here. And even though a judge could order limited parenting time -say, supervised visits 1 day a week for 3 hours at a time to start --after this long apart, it's hard to know how that visitation will go, and then he has to account for your son's special needs.