Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

Can cps take a newborn into care if the mother has family

Customer Question

can cps take a newborn into foster care if the mother has family and relatives that would take the baby?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: Not yet. Unfortunately I haven't had time since just got the news an hour before I went to work yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i don't think so
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

One of the family members or relatives will need to file a petition for non-parent custody, which is also called "in loco parentis" custody. The non-parents file with the court where the child currently resides. The non-parental filing will need serve the petition on the child's parents and the CPS.

Here is a form to help you get started.

Here are the instructions.

I would highly recommend that you hire a family law attorney so that you do not lose the case on a procedural or evidentiary technicality.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.