Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

I adopted a 14 year old boy in May of this year. My son had

Customer Question

I adopted a 14 year old boy in May of this year. My son had been in DHS custody since the age of 4. I received some background history on him during our 9 month trial living arrangements, and then more was given to me after the adoption. I am in the process of getting my son into in-school counseling, and have met with 2 professionals who both have searched records and brought up information of at least 2 psychiatric hostpital stays for my child before he came to live with me. Isn't DHS supposed to be up front with prospective parents as to what they may be in for with a child? I d not know what else these mental health professionals have found, but it is looking as if my son my. Have Asperger's Syndrome as well as the ADHD that I was already aware he has. My question is this: is there a lawsuit here, from which I may be able to set up a future for my son when I am no longer able to provide for him?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My meaning wasn't clear above. Basically, DHS kept a lot of pertinent info from me that could have implications on my and my son's life down the road. If one considers buying a house, he is entitled to certain disclosures to make an informed decision; the same with buying a used car. Doesn't a prospective parent have the right to full disclosure when deciding to adopt a specific child?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
DHS is the most negligent, incompetent and abusive bunch of social workers you will ever encounter. If the DHS workers knew about these issues, the child should have been in therapy already and the information should have been disclosed that he was being treated for these issues. Unfortunately, it is not enough to void the adoption, BUT it is enough to sue DHS and the social workers personally for civil rights violation and gross negligence to seek damages on behalf of the child and for damages on your behalf for payment for all care and treatment.