JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992

The courts gave my ex-wife our house years ago, but she is

Customer Question

the courts gave my ex-wife our house years ago , but she is always asking me to sign over the house to her, my name is ***** ***** the title/deed.... I didnʻt go to court back then, because i didnʻt know or were served anything to attend the court hearings. Do I still have rights to that property? and if so.... what should I do...any suggestions??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

You weren't served with papers advising you that you were being sued for divorce?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no papers were served.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
any suggestions??
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 month ago.

If you were never served with any papers then you have an option to file a Motion to Vacate Judgment, preferably through a lawyer, and ask the judge to start over from scratch. If you don't have any objection to the divorce or the way the property was handled then you can choose not to do this and just sign off on any paperwork your "ex" has.

At this point, the ball is in your court but those are really your option, 1) ask the court to vacate the judgment and start over, or 2) sign off on your "ex's" paperwork.