Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

My husband have a daughter in PR and he is paying the child

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: my husband have a daughter in PR and he is paying the child support but they are not going by the guidelines and we live in the state of Florida can we change the case to US and do it by his net income or not
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Puerto Rico
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: yes in Puerto Rico but they have to child support the regular one and the supplementary (for sports , housing and private school)
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they want me as a spouse to pay child support as well . and dont think is fair ..I have a 2 year old daughter and we dont even have money to pay our rent because the child spp is 2,000 a month
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, legally if the child is in PR, then child support must be done in PR and it cannot be transferred to the US. I am afraid that under PR child support laws the income of the new spouse of the paying parent can be considered, but the court is also supposed to consider whether or not you and your husband have a child together that you are raising and consider that in their calculations.

I am afraid that your only recourse as long as the child remains in PR is to fight the support in PR and file to try to get a reduction in the PR courts. Legally no other state in the US can take jurisdiction as long as the child resides in PR and the PR court has issued a support order in the matter.