AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience

I'm going thru a divorce and my husband is lying about

Customer Question

I'm going thru a divorce and my husband is lying about assets, having his friends hide assets and lying for him. I am at my wits end. I am a Christian and would not lie. He has put me in debt over $80,000.00 and has conned me . We are at the point of going to trial And I would like to have him and his witnesses arrested for perjury. Can I request lie detector tests?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Alot of people hear about lie detectors, but don't really understand when they are used and by whom.

Courts do not allow the results of lie detector tests to come in as evidence. That is because they have proven to be not scientifically reliable enough. Therefore, even if you obtained a lie detector test for these individuals, the court would never allow you to introduce the results into a trial.

Police use lie detectors as a tool of investigation. Police tend to give more credibility to results of lie detector tests. They often will ask people to be tested to see if they are guilty of a crime, and the results of the test will have some bearing, perhaps, on whether the police continue pursuing particular suspects or particular leads.

Perjury is a criminal offense. When prosecutors of the state learn there has been perjury, and it can be proven (not through a lie detector test result), the prosecutor can chose whether to press charges and file a criminal case against the person that committed perjury. Perjury is not a case that you, as an individual can bring against another person. Individuals can only bring civil cases. Only the state prosecutors can file criminal actions.

Does that make sense?

Can you please let me know if I answered your question? I spent some time preparing the answer, and so I would like to know if I was able to answer your question. Please let me know. If you don't have any follow up question, can you please give me a positive rating? Thank you.