AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience

Live in NC. * 2 children * Have child support order which

Customer Question

Live in NC.
* 2 children
* Have child support order which states child support ends when daughter turns 18 or finishes high school. Whichever is later.
*One daughter graduated high school June 8th, 2015. Father has not filed motion to stop child support.
* she turned 18 March 10 2015
* their dad started paying half of normal child support payment in March of 2015 when older child turned 18
Question - will he be liable for the accrued amount of child support for older child because he has not filed a motion to stop child support and who determines that the amount paid becomes half - the child support does not state the amount - only when it ends.
* child support has continued to accrue
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Child support for the one child is not necessarily exactly half of the amount it was for the two children. It sounds like the provision in the decree stating that child support stops when the oldest child graduated high school, since that was the later of the two events. So he is liable to pay for the few extra months. In addition, after that, if he keeps paying exactly half, that could be slightly insufficient, because, normally the amount would be about half, but from what I've seen it ends up being a bit more than half for the remaining child. Has that answered your question?

If you have any follow up questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, please give me a positive rating. Thanks.