How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6244
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex wife has sole physical custody and i need help in

Customer Question

my ex wife has sole physical custody and i need help in writing a letter requesting visitation and have 50/50 custody. im currently not working
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: california
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: when she filed for divorce we didnt have no visitation it been all verbal for about 4 years until she open child support case and she has sole physical custody
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: been divorced for 4 years, all visitation is verbal, and i have no right to my 3 children. but i have been seeing my children within a month i say 2.5 week in total
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 7 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 7 months ago.

If you are asking for a change of the custody and visitation order then you will need to:

  • show that there has been a “change in circumstances” since the final custody order was made.
  • the reason there has to be a significant change is that it is best for children to have stable and consistent custody arrangements with their parents.
  • ask your mediator at Family Court Services to make sure you do not have to go to mediation before you file any papers.

Fill out your court forms:

Fill out the Request for Order (Form FL-300). You can use the Information Sheet for Request for Order (Form FL-300-INFO) for information.

Ask your family law facilitator if you need to check the boxes for “Court Order” and item 4 on FL-300.

You can also fill out the Child Custody and Visitation (Parenting Time) Application Attachment (Form FL-311). It is an optional form (you do not have to use it), but you may find it helpful in making sure you do not leave anything out of your request. It contains a lot of detail about schedules for visits, holidays, and other details that can help you as you try to prepare a new parenting plan that is best for your children.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.