How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1191
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friends miner child,came to my house wile acs(ny) was at

Customer Question

a friends miner child,came to my house wile acs(ny) was at her house<she didn't want to go home.what do i need to do to keep her in my house,she is 14&wants to live with my family
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law appeals and landlord-tenant law. I look forward to helping you today.

At the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you. It is NO EXTRA CHARGE to you but it’s important to me! Thanks!

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. This is for educational purposes only and you are advised to seek your own legal counsel.

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back asap.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 7 months ago.

Is there a court case by ACS? Are they trying to remove the child from the home?

If they're trying to remove the child from the home, you can get involved in the case but you'll need a family lawyer to do it. You would still need a family lawyer to help you with this, even if they're not trying to remove the child from the home, because the child is a minor and ACS, if they agree, will want to do a home inspection and ask you all sorts of questions to make sure you can take care of this child. The parents will have to agree with this if ACS doesn't get involved, and even if ACS gets involved, the parents are going to have a say in this. If, for example, ACS wants the child to go to foster care, but you offer your house instead, that is a good option if ACS thinks so, so you'll need ACS on your side to prevent the child from going to foster care. There are a lot of options here, but you really need to talk to a family lawyer about all your options and about what ACS will be doing in this case.

If the parents still want to keep the child, you're going to have trouble getting the child because in New York, grandparents would have an easier time getting a child than a friend or even an aunt or uncle. If you are not related to the child, it would have to be shown that it's in the child's best interests to live with you. Your best bet in this situation is to consult with a family lawyer -- a free consultation so that all it costs you is your time.

If you would like, I can send you a list of family lawyers in your area. We cannot recommend any specific attorneys to you but I can send you a list and explain what to look for on the list. This way, you'll know not to pick an attorney who has a red mark of misconduct next to his or her name. If you are interested, please let me know what town or city you are near, generally a larger town or city, so that there will be enough family lawyers to choose from. This is at no extra charge to you. I do this for people who ask me questions so that I can point customers in the right direction.

Does this answer your question?

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 7 months ago.

I want to help you and will answer whatever else you would like me to answer. Dealing with ACS is not easy, but the chidl is a minor so you're going to need some help with this.

I am more than happy to answer additional questions based on this one if you want.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. If you need additional information please let me know. Best of luck to you!

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you, ***** ***** you for allowing me to help you today.

Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

We are not employees of this site, so it's important for us to be rated to get credit for the time we spend here and so we can be paid. Thank you!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 7 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you or if there is any more information that you need. Thanks!


Related Family Law Questions