originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.

My father passed 06-2016 he had an insurance policy. In said

Customer Question

My father passed 06-2016 he had an insurance policy. In said policy he had his dad as the benefiary. His dad is also deceased 15 yrs before my dad. I have people trying to get me to sign waivers stating that my sister and i will get everything(their words) but refuse to tell me what everything is until i sign this waiver. And also i have a uncle that is trying to tell me that he and his sibling his entitled the the monies. I just need to know what my options are and where everything stands as far as this policy so i can have closure. Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. This service is for information only. I cannot give you legal advice. Please stand by!

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Before you sign anything, you should speak to an attorney in your area that handles probate law. Many attorneys can be found on and a lot offer free initial consultations. Take the paperwork that you're being asked to sign with you and have them review it. Do not sign anything that you are not completely sure you understand and agree to.

If your father's life insurance policy didn't have a contingent beneficiary on it, then the insurance company will issue the funds to your father's estate to be distributed along with the estate.

Based on the limited facts you've presented, I do not see any reason why your Uncle would be entitled to any of the insurance proceeds, unless he was mentioned in your father's will.

However, your best chance for getting the most accurate answer is to consult an attorney in person in your own area and tell the m the full and complete story.