RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

My ex husband and I have joint legal custody of my 14 year

Customer Question

My ex husband and I have joint legal custody of my 14 year old son but I have physical custody, recently my son has been acting out and told his dad that he wants to move in with him . My ex keeps telling me that he's taking my son whether I like it or not because my son has a choice.. Is that true ? Can I force my son to stay with me because I have legal physical custody?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Here if you have physical custody you absolutely can say no.You have the legal right to decide where the child lives and until a court changes that you are the person in control.You should not let the ex intimidate you .You can report him a s a runaway in California if he leaves without your permission.As the person with physical custody you have the final say in all of this.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and good luck with all of this.