How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steven K. Your Own Question
Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2363
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Steven K. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are there any services that act as intermediaries between

Customer Question

Are there any services that act as intermediaries between divorced couples to handle things like paying the alimony and selling off shared property? The lawyer is an option but doesn't handle some things. Also expensive. I basically don't want my friend to have to remain in communication with her abusive ex-husband even though she has to pay him alimony.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 6 months ago.

There are mediators who can help resolve disputes. Is that the kind of intermediary you're thinking of? Or do you mean some other kind of service would be provided?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I mean someone who would deal with the day-to-day things that still must happen after the divorce is finalized. Like get signatures on documents, communicate property closing dates, pay out agreed upon sums, etc.
Expert:  Steven K. replied 6 months ago.

There really isn't an official option but I see your concern of her maintaining communication with her abuser. Some people find a family friend or relative to act as intermediary, and I suppose you could hire any person to engage in this behavior, but it is not normally done. Does your friend have a protective order?

One option is for all communication be limited to a web program/app called Family Wizard, or a similar program. It's not a perfect solution to your problem, but it allows the communication to be limited to a single format, and it can be accessed by third parties with permission. It can create evidence for court, if necessary, as well.

Related Family Law Questions