Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Is there ANY possible way a minor can be emancipated in the

Customer Question

Is there ANY possible way a minor can be emancipated in the state of Ohio?!?! At all?!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I’m a family lawyer and appellate attorney with 36 years’ experience and also have extensive experience with landlord-tenant issues. I look forward to helping you today.

At the end of our discussion I’m going to ask you to rate me, okay? I’d appreciate it because this is the only way we get credit for our time here today. It is at no extra cost to you.

Please note:This is general information for educational purposes and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. You are advised to retain your own attorney.

I'll be back in a few minutes after I type my answer. Thanks!

How old are you or the person who wants to be emancipated?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
16 years of age

Okay thank you for that.

Ohio is like some other states, including NY, where the is no specific way to become emancipated. There is no petition to file and your parents are still responsible for you if you move out. The only way I've seen that you can become emancipated, and I checked several sources, is to get married or be in the military.

Unfortunately, that's the only way.

The law is as follows:

To be emancipated before reaching age 18, a minor must either join a branch of the armed services or become married. Ohio state law does not allow a minor or the minor's parents to petition the court for emancipation.

Even if a court relieves parents of financial responsibility for a minor child, the child is not emancipated and the parents still may be held responsible for the child's actions.

I am just the messenger but I know you would rather have the truth than not have it, so I have to be honest with you. And if you bring a case in family court to have your parents stop supporting you, as indicated above, it does not emancipate you. Please understand I don't like giving bad news but you are entitled to the truth.

Emancipation occurs automatically when a person reaches age 18, the age of majority for most purposes, or upon graduation from high school if a child turns 18 during his or her last year of high school.

Does this answer your question? I wish I had better news for you but unless you're planning on getting married or joining the military, you would have to wait till you're 18.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Really sucks to hear, but Thank you.