Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

My grandson is at collage. He moved in with another kid this

Customer Question

My grandson is at collage. He moved in with another kid this last March. The other kid had the lease with his mother as a co-signer. She paid a $1000 security deposit. My grandson left a bit is a mess and the need for some very minor repairs. I paid rent and part of the utilities to his mother. The arrangement was informal and nothing was signed. The lease is up today and both kids have left. What is our Legal responsibility here. The mother is getting nasty and I am afraid of her. I am a 76 yr old widow on a small fixed income. I would like to do the decent thing but I am afraid of what she will do.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi Barbara. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

There are two contractual relationships here...the one between the the other kid and the landlord and then the one between your son and the other kid. As between the landlord and the other kid, that's the other kid's issue, not your son's issue. Rather, your son, with no written agreement, is simply a month to month tenant. As long as he paid rent, the only thing he has any liability for is the damages he may have caused other than normal wear and tear. That's the extent of his liabilities. The mother can get nasty if she wants, but don't let her intimidate you because this is your son's only liability.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!