Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer
Experience:  Law Clerk for 7 years
95838073

This is probably a dumb question. My wife and I are retired

Customer Question

This is probably a dumb question. My wife and I are retired and work as Guardian Ad Litem for Pickens County SC. We also process serve for several attorneys. My wife retired after 30 years in Surgery and I 30 years in Electronics for Michelin. I am now starting my second year in legal studies. We want to volunteer to work in an legal office for experience. I will take the paralegal test in 2017 if not before. My question is do law offices take volunteers. We both are very familiar with confidentiality and HIPPA. Working as Guardian Ad Litem we understand court procedure. What are our chances to help attorneys starting out until they hire the person they want. The reason money is not important is that we can not make but certain amounts. We love to help people and also love paper work. Please help with guidance.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 3 months ago.

Hi Michael! I'm Stacy and I'd be happy to assist you this evening. First I want to say I think it's wonderful that you and your wife are still serving your community even after a well deserved retirement. I served as a GAL during law school and it was a very humbling experience for me. Second, law offices absolutely take volunteers, although in your case, you'd be considered an intern. Does your school's career services office have a listing available? If not, I'd recommend typing up a nice letter of introduction explaining who you are, why you've decided to return to study paralegal studies and that you'd love to gain some hands on experience in a law office before trying to find employment.

Do you know anyone who works for the court system or have any lawyer friends? I had a couple of friends who just finished their paralegal degrees this past year. I work for a judge as a law clerk and they reached out to me to ask about opportunities. I made a quick post on facebook about having friends who were looking to intern at law offices and had several of my attorney friends absolutely JUMP at the opportunity. Small practices and solo practioners are your best bet. They already have a small staff and usually are operating on a much tighter budge and would love to get capable, qualified and experienced people who could lend a hand. This could allow them to take on more cases by freeing up their time conducting research or preparing run of the mill motions. I honestly think you would make somoeone's day if you offered your services.

Congratulations on your return to school. It's never too late. I graduated law school with a lady who was 62. She is an amazing woman who has gone on to do even greater things than before.

If you've found my information helpful, I sure would appreciate a positive rating so I can get credit for assisting you this evening. I wish you and your wife nothing but the best!

If you need anything further, please let me know.