Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney

I was married in Texas June 6, 2016. After marriage my wife

Customer Question

I was married in Texas June 6, 2016. After marriage my wife never moved into my residence with me! She moved into her parents home. The only reason given is she does not want to live in a trailer. Is this a legal grounds for annulment in Texas? Can I use fraud as grounds since i was not aware we would be living separately from day 1 of our marriage. When I purchased the trailer it was for us to live in after our marriage she never said she wouldn't be living with me.
Thank you for your help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you tonight. Thank you for your question and for using

You need to be able to show one of several legal grounds to get an annulment in Texas. Your marriage may be eligible for annulment if you can show any of the following:

(1) Incest – your and your spouse are related, closer than first cousins.

(2) Bigamy – either you or your spouse is in another marriage that wasn't terminated before your own marriage.

(3) Underage – one spouse was under the legal age to get married.

(4) Intoxication – one spouse was too intoxicated during the ceremony to consent to marriage.

(5) Impotence – one spouse is permanently unable to have sexual intercourse.

(6) Fraud – one spouse lied about or hid something essential to the marriage.

(7) Duress or Force – one spouse was coerced, threatened, or forced to get married.

Perhaps the most important limitation built in to the traditional approach to fraud-based annulments is the requirement that the misrepresentation relate to an essential aspect of marriage. Living with your spouse seems to be at the heart of this and you would have a decent chance to get an annulment based on fraud. Today, annulments based on fraud are sometimes granted regardless of whether the real test for fraud is met: Judges simply look the other way and treat "fraud" as a catchall mechanism for dissolving hasty or ill-considered marriages. Which gives you an even better chance. While not guaranteed, you would have a pretty chance to get the annulment granted if your spouse is not living with you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?