Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

I am not legally married, but my children are 18 and 20, we

Customer Question

I am not legally married, but my children are 18 and 20, we have been together over 24 years, do I have to get a divorce?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Have you ever agreed to be married privately and held yourselves out to others as man and wife?

.

Do you combine assets and income and file your taxes as married?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The answer to both of those questions above are NO
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No and no

Ok, then since you were never legally married and have never considered yourselves to be common law married, you are simply boyfriend and girlfriend and there would not be any marriage to get divorced from.

.

If you split up, you would just divide up any assets you purchased together and then go your separate ways..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Even if we have been together for 24 years

Yes, there is no "time limit" after which a boyfriend and girlfriend as considered to be married so as to require them to divorce. If you had entered into a common law marriage, then that would be different. But you stated that you hadn't ever done so.

.

.

thanks