How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33104
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is incarcerated in NJ and the mother of his daughter

Customer Question

My son is incarcerated in NJ and the mother of his daughter wants to change her name. He is wants to know how he can prevent this from happening while he is in prison
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: He will be released in march 2017.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

He has to be served with a copy of the Petition for Name Change and he can then file an Answer and ask for a hearing. It would, of course, be better for him to hire a lawyer but if he does then the lawyer shouldn't have any problem either delaying the matter until after he is released or else getting him "bench warranted" to the county so he can appear at the hearing.

Filing an Answer will prevent a default judgment and then the presumption is that the name not be changed.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.