Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Husbands parental rights were terminated while he was in

Customer Question

Husbands parental rights were terminated while he was in court ordered rehab and was not notified of the petition. He returned home to find out he lost his daughter. After several years now, he has rebuilt his life and become clean with a stable job and good life. He has a supportive family and completely turned his life around. However, he has missed out on almost 10 years of his daughters life now. Is it possible for him to file a petition in the state of Georgia to reinstate his parental rights and be awarded visitation with his daughter, even if it must be supervised?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The child's mother would be against it out of her own spite and negative feelings from their past relationship, but he definitely proves to be a capable and fit father now
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today. By continuing, you agree that this conversation shall not be considered legal advice and that you understand I can only comment on the law in general and not give advice on your particular situation.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. While in court-ordered rehab, did they even attempt to serve him with the Petition? Did they try any other type of service? I'm asking because in some instances, the Court allows the complainant to "publish" the notice in the newspaper and allowing the complainant to move forward if the defendant doesn't respond.