Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

I have been wiyh my boyfriend 26 years. hE LEFT ME FOR A

Customer Question

I have been wiyh my boyfriend 26 years. hE LEFT ME FOR A METH. WHORE. I LIVE IN ONE OF HIS HOUSES, HE LIVES AT HIS MOTHERS HOUSE LEFT TO HIM IN HER WILL. HE HAS LIVED THERE ABOUT 4 YRS. NOW. I AM PHYSICALY AND MENTALLY HANDICAPPED NOW. I DONT WANT TO MOVE. I HAVE PAID MOST THE BILLS HERE FOR THE PAST FEW YEARS. I HAVE SUFFERD EXTREM MENTAL ABUSE. TODAY HA CAME AND KICKED IN THE DOOR. THREW LARGE OBJECTS AT ME. PUSHED ME DOWN. I CALLED 911 AND HAD THE SHERIFF HERE AND WENT AND FILED APPO AGAINST HIM. WHAT CAN I DO. WHAT ARE MY LEGAL RIGHTS
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I am very sorry to hear that you are having to go through this..

.

You asked "What are my legal rights?", but that is kind of a wide open question... I don't know if you are talking about any criminal case, the PPO, or the tenancy, or something else entirely...

.

Can you narrow down your question a bit so I can give you a specific answer?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
AFTER 26YEARS OF MY LIFE INVESTED IN THIS RELATIONSHIP. CAN I STAY AT THIS ADDRESS. CAN I SUE HIM FOR PALIMONY? SINCE I AM NOW PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY 9DIAGNOSED BI-POLAR2) HANDICAPPED, DOES THAT ENTITLE ME TO LEGAL CLAIMS TO THIS PROPERT OR STAY HERE?

I hate to say it, but Michigan has never had a case where they awarded palimony to an unmarried person after living with their boy/girlfriend for an extended period. So legally, according to Michigan courts, you wouldn't be awarded any type of support since you weren't legally married.

.

And I also hate to say it, but your mental or physical problems don't give you legal rights to stay in the property that he owns solely in his name. Legally you are considered a month to month occupant under an oral occupancy agreement.

.

He can terminate that occupancy with a written one month notice to vacate and then evict you through the courts if you didn't move.

.

I don't like that this has happened to you and I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience,even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks