Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

What can i do about a girlfriend sharing nude pics i sent

Customer Question

What can i do about a girlfriend sharing nude pics i sent for her only
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Alabama
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: We dated for bout 8 months shecwas married of course now shes divorcing and my pics are being used as revenge i guess. Threatening to use them to humiliate or whatever
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Alabama
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.
By continuing, you acknowledge that I am not providing legal advice and can only comment on the law in general.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Where has she shared the pics? Who has seen them? And what kind of misfortune have you suffered based on the unauthorized sharing?

Michael

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She,has shared them with a few of her friends and my ex wife. She has threatened to share our messages from instagram and messenger to my coworkers and boss which could possiblu get me fired or be forced to resign. I haven't suffered any misfortune yet.

Thank you.

There aren't any laws (statutes) that specifically address adults sharing pictures in Alabama. To prevail in a case like this, you'd need to file a civil suit against the person, alleging that they publicly disseminated private materials without your permission and that you were harmed as a result. You would have to prove the person send them to the other person in the form of testimony from the person who received the messages. If you lost a job based on this type of disclosure, you may receive some type of compensation for those lost wages. I would speak to an Alabama civil attorney about your options.

I hope this helps.

Michael

If you valued my time, please consider rating me positively at the top of the page. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. If you have further questions, please continue to ask them until you're completely satisfied.

DISCLAIMER: This is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer. My questions are based on my knowledge of the jurisdiction where I am admitted to practice, my experience on this site over several years, and research on the relevant laws and statutes for your jurisdiction, if any. My information is not advice and you should always speak to local counsel before you act.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you

No problem! If you valued my time, don't forget to rate.