LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

My daughter is delayed and has a child. the childs father

Customer Question

my daughter is delayed and has a child. the childs father was abusive to her during the pregnancy. when she delivered the baby, she wanted his name on the birth certificate. according to her he signed the hospital document but did not provide his social security number can he still be listed on the birth records?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that;

to be clear, he signed the paternity acknowledgment?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she say he did, but did not give social security number.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no not at the moment do not have enough money on credit card

Thank you for your patience as I researched this;

there is no need to provide a social security number; while the form requests it, failure to provide it does not negate/void the form.

What is relevant is the signature of the father.

Q. Can parents sign a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity if they don’t have a valid Social Security number or can’t remember the number?

A. As much of the VAP should be completed as possible, but yes, parents without an SSN can sign a VAP. They can also complete a VAP if they can’t remember certain information such as their SSN, address or place of birth. In these cases, a dash ( - ) should be put in the field to indicate the item was addressed.

http://www.illinois.gov/hfs/ChildSupport/hospitals/Pages/FAQs.aspx#social

The social security number simply assists with collection of child support, but the court will still be able to get that information if the mother files for child support.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!