FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

What does it take to get approval to move your children

Customer Question

What does it take to get approval to move your children within state ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. Is this assuming the other parent objects and has an issue with it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he will object no doubt.
I am thinking of moving from around 100 miles away to up to 200 miles away. Currently, we have a 50/50 arrangement, however, he only gets the kids every other weekend and sometimes during the week once (not all the time). What factors would I need in court to get this approved? I am a teacher, so finding a "better paying job" isn't all that easy.

Thank you for the additional information. What is takes, is the moving party ( i.e. you), to show that it is in the best interest of the children, to relocate. You will need to show and convince the Judge that there is a basis for it and that it outweighs the fathers rights and ability to see the children, as he does now. It is important to remember that if the Judge grants this, the father will lose out on his visitation/custody. As such, you need to convince the Judge that this move will benefit the children. It can to be something that is being done solely for the purpose of a better paying job, since the father is going to be losing his rights and time with the kids, so that will be an issue/concern for the Judge.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so what reasons would that be? What reasons would benefit the kids, in the judges opinion
It would be related to school, child care, activities or things to advance their education or development and things of that nature

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.