Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

In Wisconsin, is child support calculated off of gross

Customer Question

In Wisconsin, is child support calculated off of gross income or adjusted gross income?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You start with the Gross Income. Gross Income Includes: wages, salaries, earnings, tips, interest, capital gains, commissions, and bonuses worker's compensation or other personal injury awards intended to replace income

unemployment insurance income continuation benefits and Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) payments
voluntary contributions to retirement and cafeteria plans and undistributed income of a corporation
military allowances and veterans benefits.

You can use the following resources to help you estimate the support to be paid:

http://www.divorcenet.com/resources/divorce/divorce-and-children/child-support-wisconsin.htm#b

http://www.divorcehq.com/calculators/wisconsin-child-support-calculator.shtml

http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/bcs/order/guidelines.htm

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm confused because the previous lawyer told me that it was based on income after taxes...
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He told me the calculation is based off of gross income after taxes. Is this not right?

Hello:

Thank you for your patience. I had shut down for the night after responding to your first question. I appreciate your understanding.

I am sorry for the confusion, BUT Wisconsin Law refers to Gross Income. In the guidelines it states it uses Gross Income before taxes because:

"Gross income is a more accurate reflection of income. Net income may be manipulated through the use of exemptions and deductions."

Here is the Guideline that describes how support is calculated:

http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/publications/pdf/dcf_p_dwsc824.pdf

Scroll down to page 7 where the FAQs start.

I am sorry that this is not what you had hoped to hear, but I would not want to mislead you. Perhaps the previosu attorney just made a mistake.

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)