originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

I have been summoned to court for child support. Should I

Customer Question

I have been summoned to court for child support. Should I hire an attorney?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: north carolina
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My wife and I are separated. She filed for child support with the child support enforcement. We also have a temporary parenting agreement that she does not follow.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer! I am working on answering your question. Please stand by!

Yes, it is always in your best interest to hire an attorney. While you are allowed to represent yourself, the Judge must hold you to the same standard as an attorney, meaning the Judge can't give you any help or tell you what to do.

The only way you should represent yourself is if you are prepared to spend a lot of time in your local law library familiarizing yourself with the rules of your state and county, reading case law and doing your own research. If you are representing yourself, I would also suggest taking some time to go to court to watch similar court cases to see what you will be experiencing.

A lawyer who is familiar with family law and specifically child support will be able to guide you through this process much easier because they already know what to expect in court and they are already intimately familiar with laws and local rules and regulations.

It is an extra expense to be sure, but most of the time it is well worth it to have someone advocating on your behalf. I suggest meeting with a few different attorneys so you find one you work well with.