Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
18321761

I am 27 years old I was molested by my grandmothers

Customer Question

Hi I am 27 years old I was molested by my grandmothers boyfriend since age 2 to 11 and now i think he is doing it to other children and I just came out about it because I was scared for so long. I wanted to see if there were a way I could maybe file charges or if it's too late ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 10 months ago.

There is no statute of limitations on felony matters of this kind in North Carolina. That means that even though this happened a long time ago, you can still go to the police or the prosecutor's office, report the crime and ask that your grandmother's boyfriend be prosecuted.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay what about civil?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Unfortunately, you are outside of the statutory time frame for a civil suit. You'd have 3 years from the time you turned 18 to sue for this in your state.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay what about if he is convicted could I get a civil case after that for permanent damages

No. The time to sue is past.

You may be able to get some form of restitution from the criminal justice system. You'd have to take that up with the prosecutor when you discuss the case.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.