P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

I'm a grandparent who uses drugs socially can Cps require me

Customer Question

I'm a grandparent who uses drugs socially can Cps require me to take a drug test and what kind of action can they take. Children do not live with me
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

CPS has no authority to force you to take a drug test. HOWEVER, if you care for the children (even if they do not live with you)? And CPS has reason to believe you are using drugs? They (CPS) can ask the court to remove custody from the parents. IF CPS can prove the parents are placing the children in danger (by letting you care for them) the court will remove custody from the parents.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.