Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

In 2009 I regrettingly signed papers giving up my girls. Now

Customer Question

In 2009 I regrettingly signed papers giving up my girls. Now I have heard that the grandparents (on the fathers side) who they have been living with, one has cancer very bad and the other isn't able to keep up with them. I am doing pretty well and I'm in a better position to take care of them now. I want to know what I can do because I want them back?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 3 months ago.

Did you terminate your parent child relationship or did you simply give them legal custody?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the grand parents adopted them...

That will be tougher to do but courts always prefer that biological parents be caretakers of their children. If they voluntarily agree to give you custody, that would be optimal, otherwise you would have to file for guardianship in court.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was told that but as we moved out of state I was also told then I would need a couple witnesses and I don't have anyone that would be willing to do that. I cant count on the grandparents because they have been against me in the past and seem to have an idea in place not including me

Any friend of yours who could even execute an affidavit if they are not able to travel for a court hearing would be sufficient.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
neither seem to be willing... what can I do on my own?

I would say go ahead and file and let the judge determine. Like I said, there is a strong presumption towards the biological mother. Would your employer be willing to execute an affidavit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am not yet working, am looking for a job now that my son is back in school.

I see. Go ahead and file then.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we do have survivor benefits that is our main source at the moment, will that be good enough?

That can be but the court would probably want you to have a steady job.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what would you say are my chances in having them with me again?

It is hard to predict something like that. Like I said, the courts do like the biological parents to remain involved with the children so that works in your favor.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Otherwise a positive rating would be appreciated.